We had a housewarming party. Ten things I learned:
- The best grills are cast iron.
- Try not to let the fire go out if you have hungry guests.
- Making your friends perform engineering tasks before the party officially starts is a great way of making everybody mix & mingle. In our case, a sun/rain cover needed to be assembled.
- If you want the best taboulé & hummus of your life, ask if your Syrian friend is up for the task.
- Avalon also makes a great punch that will gather dozens of compliments.
- There can’t be too many light garlands and twinkly lights.
- The steak recipe my high-school boyfriend taught me still works.
- A little rain won’t ruin a good party! Just be prepared. See number 3.
- In the end, you might be so busy hustling with everything that you might not really have time to eat yourself.
- And if you are so positively busy with your party – eating, drinking, socialising, laughing – that you have don’t even have time to even put on make-up or comb your hair, it’s a great party!
I’m planning on writing a whole post about BBQ and grills and equipment and such, as the art of BBQing deserves some special attention. So here I’m just gonna share our recipes for the salads and side dishes – which go together with EVERYTHING grilled.